Fresh mangoes are the star in this classic Central Thai dessert. Mango pairs well with sweet coconut sauce and chewy rice texture.
Ripe yellow mangoes work great for this dish. Glutinous rice, or sticky rice, is traditionally steamed and combined with sweet coconut sauce for the base. Pandan leaf is optionally added for fragrance and very subtle flavor.
White glutinous rice is commonly used, though its black counterpart is much more nutritious. A mixture of both is also fairly common: about three parts white glutinous rice to one part black glutinous rice yeilds a healthy purple rice.
2 cup steamed glutinous rice
2 cup coconut cream
4 tbsp palm sugar
4 tbsp water
2 pandan leaf(optional)
2 ripe mango, peeled and seeded and sliced
• heat water, palm sugar until blended
• mix in coconut cream, salt, pandan leaf
• simmer until thickened slightly
• remove pandan leaf
• combine half of the coconut sauce, rice
• serve rice with mango and coconut sauce over