Curry and rice is a staple meal of Sri Lanka. This curry consists of nearly-ripe breadfruit stewed in basic Sri Lankan spices combined with coconut milk.
Unripe, green breadfruit just beginning to brown is best for this recipe, providing amazing texture and a faint hint of sweetness. Common Sri Lankan spices provide complex flavor and heat. Coconut cream provides creamy texture and blends the curry flavors. Temper the spices then mix with breadfruit, water, and coconut; simmer and serve.
Sri Lankan curries tend to use many spices familiar in Indian cuisine, yet they also have similarities to Thai and other Southeast Asian curries.
2 clove garlic
1 thumb turmeric
20 black peppercorn
20 coriander seed
½ tbsp mustard seed
1 tbsp cumin seed
½ tbsp fennel(optional)
½ tbsp fenugreek seed(optional)
1 stick cinnamon
4 stem curry leaf(optional)
2 pandan leaf(optional)
1 onion, sliced
1 cup coconut cream
1 breadfruit, peeled, core removed, and chopped, then boiled
• pound garlic, chili, salt, turmeric, peppercorn, coriander seed, mustard seed, cumin seed, clove, cinnamon
• add onion, curry leaf, pandan leaf
• saute until browned
• add breadfruit, coconut cream, water
• simmer about 30 minutes; add water as necessary and stir occasionally
• remove curry leaf, pandan leaf
• serve with rice