Tenryu-ji(天龍寺) is a zen temple in Arashiyama(嵐山) bordering the hills around Kyoto. It is a Historic Monument of Ancient Kyoto and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
When Emperor Go Daigo(後醍醐天皇) passed away in 1339, Shogun Ashikaga Takauji(足利尊氏) established the temple in his memory. The emperor had been raised and educated at the site. The temple was completed in 1345 and became one of the most important temples in Kyoto for centuries.
The temple complex features one of Japan’s oldest landscape gardens around Sogen Pond(曹源池).