Jisho-ji(慈照寺) is a zen Buddhist temple near Philosopher’s Path in eastern Kyoto City. It is one of the Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
The temple was established in 1482 by Ashikaga Yoshimasa(足利義政). He was inspired by Rokuon-ji(鹿苑寺), or Kinkaku(金閣), which was established by his grandfather Ashikaga Yoshimitsu(足利義満).
Kannon-den(観音殿) is the main shrine dedicated to Guanyin Bodhisattva(観音菩薩), the goddess of mercy. The name Ginkaku(銀閣), meaning silver pavilion, refers to the original intentions of coating this shrine with silver, as the main shrine of Kinkaku is coated in gold; however, the silver coating was never completed. Kannon-den is two stories, and a bronze phoenix decorates the roof pinnacle.
The harmonious garden landscaping makes a peaceful scene of the temple grounds.